Moroccan cigars are not tobacco! We can now take you through one of the sweetest meals from Morocco. There are a lot of places to visit in Morocco for new comers and even the country’s die-hard fans. The first time you take a bite of this meal, you wouldn’t know what hit your taste buds. The taste is exotic and would make you want more like Oliver Twist. While many of us may not have visited Morocco doesn’t mean we cannot enjoy this meal.
We have brought home the ingredients that would help you prepare Moroccan cigars at home:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 15 ounces lean ground beef or 15 ounces lamb
- teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 5 eggs
- lb phyllo pastry
- 6 ounces butter, melted
The direction of every meal determines whether you can cook it or not. A mistake in a step can affect how the meal will taste. The following steps will help you cook this great meal.
- Preheat your oven to 300 F.
- To make your filling: cook the onion in the olive oil until soft.
- Add lamb or beef or, crushing the meat with a fork.
- Seasonings and spices are added.
- Cook for at least 15 minutes, and stir with a wooden spoon. When the meat is well cooked and lump free, you can stop.
- Add the parsley.
- Take the eggs and lightly beat in a bowl and pour over the meat.
- Cook for about 1-2 minute, stir, and only stop when the egg mixture sets to creamy consistency.
- Add more spices and seasoning.
- Some people may add red pepper flakes at this point.
- The sheet of phyllo pastry are cut into three equal-sized rectangles.
- Place one on top of the other and cover with a damp towel.
- Brush one of the rectangles lightly with melted butter.
- Place a teaspoon of filling along one of the short edges.
- Tuck the edge and ends of pastry around filling, and roll into a cigar shape.
- Repeat with other rectangles.
- Fry in hot oil to brown on all sides, drain and place in warm oven.
- Repeat and serve with Harissa
Serve the meal to your guests.