Kilishi is going to make you fall in love with it the first time you taste it. It is addictive and very sumptuous. The taste is something you have to crack your head to put a guess. If you are still wondering what this Kilishi is, relax we have you covered.
Kilishi originated from the Northern part of Nigeria. It is made a form of suya but in a dried form, prepared from deboned goat, sheep or cow meat. A paste is also prepared from labu or peanuts that are diluted with ground onions, spices, enough waters and sometimes honey is added as sweetener. Date palm is often added to it to make it very sweet. The sliced meat is then immersed inside this paste and allowed to dry before they are roasted on wire mesh.
Kilishi has a long life span as it can be kept for many months without it changing the taste. There was a time, this delicacy was seen only in the northern part of Nigeria. It is no longer a scarce commodity since you can prepare it at home or buy it from any mall around you.
You can eat Kilishi as snack for those who want something exotic for their visitors. There is no part of Africa where Kilishi will not make the difference. If you are thinking of a delicacy that will make your guests demand for more and still cost you little or nothing, Kilishi can be served with wine, beer or any juice.
You can also prepare Kilishi with the following Ingredients:
- 1 small stock cube
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry cayenne pepper seeds
- pieces wafer-thin beef
- 1 tablespoon suya spice or suya pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- A small piece of ginger
How to Prepare Kilishi Paste
- You should grind the cloves with a dry mill
- Peel the garlic and ginger and pound/grind into a smooth paste.
- Add the ground cloves and crushed stock cubes to the garlic and ginger paste.
- And some water, stir and sieve to get an extract of these spices and seasoning.
- Add the suya spice and cayenne pepper seeds to the solution stir and set aside.
We believe this article has proven insight to how you can make your kilishi at home without spending a lot of money. What do you think of these sumptuous snacks?