Deadline: October 15, 2018 (for US Citizens) / January 3, 2019 (Other Applicants)
Application is open to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The scholarship is created to develop an international network of future leaders that are committed to giving others a better life.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation donated US$210m in October 2000 for this programme that offers 90 full-cost scholarships each year.
About the Scholarship
Students will have access to networks and opportunities during the programme- starting from
a three-day orientation programme before your course starts.
There are an enormous number of cultural, social, academic, and professional development opportunities in between. When the degree is completed, there are myriad of opportunities with Gates Cambridge.
The scholarship includes:
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate;
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2018-19 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course;
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge.
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from £500 to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2018-19 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Some fourth year funding for PhD Scholars may be provided**
Applicants should be:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (three year research-only degree)
- MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- Outstanding intellectual ability
- Leadership potential
- A commitment to improving the lives of others
- A good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying.
Applicants must submit an application for graduate admission, a College place and funding – including a Gates Cambridge Scholarship – via the University’s Graduate Applicant Portal.
Apply here apply here.
For more information, visit Gates Cambridge Scholarship.